Skip to content

There are three ways to file income taxes

You can file your taxes electronically (online) using NETFILE (an electronic tax-filing service that sends your tax return directly to the Canada Revenue Agency.

1. File taxes on your own online electronically

  • You can file your taxes electronically (online) using NETFILE (an electronic tax-filing service that sends your tax return directly to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) using the internet and a NETFILE-certified software product.
    • You will find a list of certified desktop, online, and mobile software products at Some of the software is free.
  • This system is safe, more accurate, faster to send than by mail and refunds are issued faster as well (in most cases, with direct deposit, in as little as eight business days). You do not have to send in receipts, unless the CRA asks for them later and get immediate confirmation that the CRA has received your tax return.

2. File taxes on your own by mail

If you do not have access to a computer, or prefer using paper, you can also fill out your return by hand and mail it in.

  • You will need the General Income Tax and Benefit Return for the year you are filing.
  • You can get this package either online here , by telephone (1-800-959-2221), or by going to any postal office or Service Canada office.
  • Ask for a tax package for the province you lived in last December.
  • Once you get the package, fill out the forms.
  • If you have worked in the past year, you will need a T4 form from your employer.
  • Once you have completed the forms, you will need to either: a) mail it in, b) telephone it in with telefile (not for first time tax filers).
  • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will review your file and may ask you some follow-up questions. Keep any letter you receive from CRA in a special place for next year.

3. Get a professional to help you

Taxes can be quite complicated, but doing it right is important and can also get you more money back!

If you have a complicated tax situation (such as if you own property, you get money from several different sources, or you have significant medical expenses) or if you feel overwhelmed by the forms, you might want to get professional help.

There are several types of professionals that can help:

  • If you need help but cannot pay for it, the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) will help people who have low incomes for free. Call 1-800-959-8281 or visit free-tax-help for the location closest to you.
  • You can go to Tax AID DABC.
  • BCANDS assistance with tax filing for Indigenous Individuals and families living with disabilities who are interested and eligible to open a RDSP.
  • You can go to a walk-in tax clinic. While the staff are not usually accountants, the service can be less costly.
  • You can go to a professional accountant who understands disability taxes.
  • Go to for more information on the Disability Tax Credit and filing taxes.


What province are you from?

Knowing your province helps us make this tool the best experience for you.

Important information about benefits for Indigenous Peoples

If you are Indigenous there are many things that affect the benefits you can get and the dollar amounts you can get from them. These include the agreements your band or governing body has with provincial, territorial, and federal governments. Before applying to any benefits, you should speak with your governing body, if applicable.

AFOA Canada and Prosper Canada are currently seeking funding to develop an online tool that serves the needs of Indigenous people living in Canada.