Skip to content

Persons with Disabilities designation (BC) (PWD)

Are you a person living with a severe mental or physical disability in British Columbia? Do you need help with daily activities from another person, assistive device, or service animal?

You may be able to gain more independence, income, and well-being through The BC Employment and Assistance Program for Persons with Disabilities or the Indigenous Services Canada Persons with Disabilities program.

Important information before applying for benefits

You will need a doctor and/or medical professional to fill in the medical forms which are part of some benefits application process (Disability Tax Credit, Canada Pension Plan-Disability and provincial and territorial benefits).

If you do not already have a doctor who knows you, your medical history and how you are impacted in your daily living with a disability, please see below on how to find a doctor who will work with you.

How to find a doctor or nurse practitioner who will work with you

In this section :

  1. Introduction
  2. Eligibility
  3. Apply
  4. After you apply
  5. FAQ
  6. Resources

Get started

What province are you from?

Knowing your province helps us make this tool the best experience for you.

Important information about benefits for Indigenous Peoples

If you are Indigenous there are many things that affect the benefits you can get and the dollar amounts you can get from them. These include the agreements your band or governing body has with provincial, territorial, and federal governments. Before applying to any benefits, you should speak with your governing body, if applicable.

AFOA Canada and Prosper Canada are currently seeking funding to develop an online tool that serves the needs of Indigenous people living in Canada.